Patchwork quilts are beautiful works of art. They also use symmetry. In this online quilt activity, create your own quilt by combining your favorite colors and patterns!
To use the online quilt tool, select your pattern by clicking the pattern button beside the trash can symbol. Next, fill in the quilt square on the left by choosing a color from the palette at the bottom of the screen. Simply click on a shape in the quilt square to fill it in with color. Then, watch the magic happen! Your quilt will automatically change and develop as you add colors to the square, repeating each square nine times.
It’s easy to create lessons about art and symmetry using the quilt activity. Here are some idea
- Encourage students to create a quilt using only cold or warm colors.
- Ask students to create a quilt that uses several shades of one color.
- Challenge students to discover how many lines of symmetry are present in the quilt.
- Challenge students to copy at least four squares of their quilt on paper.
- Ask students to research quilts and write a short paragraph explaining how they’re made.
Ask students to explain why it’s possible to make some shapes and drawings, but not others. Encourage students to explore symmetrical shapes and art forms such as mandalas. You may also explore the geometrical concept of symmetry and specifically radial or rotational symmetry with students. Some examples of radial symmetry in nature include an orange slice, sunflowers, and snowflakes.
Visit classplayground.com for more activities and printables related to symmetry.